Employment Lawyers Located in New York City & Stamford, CT
We represent businesses with respect to labor and employment issues and litigation. If your company is confronted with a charge of discrimination or a lawsuit, we can provide a vigorous and strategic defense. Of equal import, we provide preventative counseling and compliance policies to business owners in order to help them anticipate and prevent unnecessary litigation. BLG, for example, assists clients in drafting employment contracts, handbooks and related policies to ensure that their workplace is efficient and lawful. We can also provide training to employees and supervisors to make sure they understand the law and maintain a successful work team.
Employee Relations And Workplace Management
Running a business is tough in this regulatory environment. The employer/employee relationship has strict rules that apply to even the smallest company and recently the enactment of complex new laws and the issuance of far-reaching court decisions is increasing litigation. Additionally, oversight and enforcement is becoming more commonplace, making it that much more critical that the advice and guidance you receive be prompt and accurate. We take a preventative approach in counseling clients on terminations, accommodations and other compliance items to minimize conflicts in the workplace that may lead to costly litigation.
BLG attorneys are experienced in counseling small businesses and our attorneys regularly assist clients in the following areas:
- Preparation of employee handbooks and personnel policies
- Drafting of employment offer letters and agreements
- Compliance with wage and hour regulations
- Implementation of discipline and discharge protocols
- Investigating employee misconduct
- Compliance with special statutory protections for the disabled
- Protection of employee privacy interests in the workplace
- Drafting of severance policies and separation agreements
- Preparation of confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure and non-compete agreements and established trade secret programs
- Pay Equity
- FMLA Compliance
- Compliance with health and safety regulations
- Understanding background check rules/regulations
Litigation Defense For Discrimination and Wage Issues
When disputes cannot be avoided, our experienced labor and employment litigators represent clients at trial and appeal in state and federal courts. We also handle arbitrations and administrative hearings before state and federal anti-discrimination agencies, labor relations boards and unemployment compensation tribunals. We staff cases in an efficient manner and approach cases proactively with the goal of achieving positive results and/or favorable settlements early in the litigation process, if possible.
Our attorneys are trial tested, well prepared and able to defend collective and class action wage and hour matters and standard employment disputes.
We have experience litigating cases involving:
- Employment discrimination
- Enforcement of restrictive covenants
- Employment contracts
- Wrongful discharge
- Harassment in the workplace
- Disability discrimination
- Whistleblower claims
- Enforcement of trade secrets
- Employee benefits
- FLSA wage and hour compliance and class actions
- Corporate disputes
Agency Defense Of Discrimination And Harassment Claims
It is tremendously easy for a current or former employee to commence an action against your company with an agency. In that forum, moreover, employees have the strength and the resource of the government attorneys investigating their claims.
BLG attorneys are experienced in providing defense in these agencies. We can help you with your submissions, investigations and mediations or hearings to get the best victory or settlement result. Our employment law attorneys have successfully defended employers in a wide range of cases and investigations involving allegations of workplace discrimination before all employment related administrative agencies including:
- NY City Commission On Human Rights
- NY State Division of Human Rights
- US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Connecticut Commission On Human Rights and Opportunities (CCHRO)
- New York and Connecticut Department of Labor
- Unemployment Appeals Board
Business Partnership Disputes and Dissolution
Whether you wish build your business or to protect yourself from the liabilities and debts of your business partner or desire to separate yourself from undesirable agreements business documents deserve attention.
Common causes of business disputes we can help with are:
- Disputes Among Partners
- Shareholder Disputes
- Conflicts Of Interests
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Breach of Contract
- Theft Of Company Property
- Excessive Salaries For Executives
- Theft of Trade Secrets or Other Confidential Commercial Information
To avoid undue disruption in the day-to-day operation of the business, such disputes usually need to be resolved as expeditiously as possible. Business disputes may be resolved through a negotiated settlements, alternative dispute resolution such as mediation or arbitration or through litigation.
Our attorneys are keenly aware of the significant cost of litigation, both financially to the individuals involved, as well as the adverse impact on an operating business. They propose creative alternatives, while involving litigators to best position the dispute in the event litigation becomes unavoidable. BLG can protect your rights and ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, while resolving disputes inside and outside of the courtroom as needed.
In some cases, partners may decide that a business is no longer viable or that they mutually have no desire to continue operations. Business partners can end their partnership by winding down and dissolving the business.
You may have key executives and sales people with whom you want to negotiate sophisticated contracts. These contracts will motivate such employees and might even give them an equity stake in the success they helped create. At BLG we are experienced at writing tailored contracts for key employees including C-Suite employees on your executive team.
BLG can help you draft the necessary agreements establishing expectations and obligations of your employees, as well as protecting your business from costly legal disputes in the future. Some of our primary employment agreement-related services include:
- Drafting and Reviewing Employment Contracts or Offer Letters
- Drafting and Reviewing Non-Competition /Non-Solicit Agreements
- Drafting Commission Plans
- Drafting Severance Packages and/or Guarantees
- Arranging Stock Options/Equity Stakes
- Drafting Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs)
Our attorneys are well-versed in the applicable state and federal employment laws, and we work to protect the rights of employees in creating well-thought-out employment agreements.
Management of an Organized or Union Free Workforce
BLG has experience with traditional labor law issues and can help you with the management of your workforce within the parameters of a Collective Bargaining Agreement if one is in place. If you wish to re-negotiate an agreement in place, we can work with you to accomplish that goal as well. Areas of focus at BLG include but are not limited to:
- Collective Bargaining
- Labor Relations Management
- Unfair Labor Practices Management and Defense
- Grievance Arbitrations
- Elections and Election Related Issues
- Matters and Trials Before The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
- Maintaining A Union Free Workplace
- Obtaining Picketing Injunctions